The handbrake pads on a Jaguar E-Style are positioned within the rear subframe and work on the top rated of the discs. Even though this can make obtain challenging it is rather feasible to modify the brake pads without the need of eliminating the subframe, conserving sizeable charge/time if you know how to do it. Most of the position is rather clear-cut and the only part where accessibility can tends to make items challenging is the refitting of the retractor plate developed to pull the calipers apart when the brakes are released. This also can be realized without the need of also a lot hard work with the ideal solution. These directions utilize to all 6 cylinder types fitted with self-modifying handbrakes which is all but the pretty early products. They are a nutritional supplement to the guidance in the Jaguar Workshop Handbook.
The graphic exhibits the forward facet of the subframe with a rear footbrake caliper in the middle and the front of the differential casing in the background at the base still left. The handbrake calipers are connected to the footbrake calipers by indicates of two pivot bolts. These bolts also maintain the retractor plate in situation with its two tines which reach throughout to the two caliper halves.
The course of action is as follows:
1. Get rid of break up pin and clevis pin linking the running lever to the handbrake linkage.
2. Fold down the locking tabs and get rid of the 7/16″ pivot bolts, lock tab and retractor plate.
3. Force the caliper in excess of the leading of the disc toward the back of the car or truck. The caliper can be withdrawn from the subframe through the centre opening at the again of the subframe.
4. Loosen the 5/16″ nuts clamping the pads to the carriers – there is just plenty of house concerning the reinforcing ribs to swing a 12 position ring spanner. In the not likely function that the clamp bolts usually are not terribly rusted you can then slide the old pads out with the aid of some tapping. It is more probable you will be completely taking away the bolts and changing these at the exact time.
5. Healthy the new pads using treatment to mount them the proper way spherical – the triangular edge upwards and the chamfer toward the adjuster bolt which backlinks the two caliper halves.
6. You will now locate that there is not adequate clearance involving the pads for the disk and you will will need to reset the self-modifying mechanism. Merely maintain one particular of the caliper halves and rotate the other anti-clockwise to unscrew the adjuster until eventually the internal faces of the pads are 12 mm apart.
7. Now you might be ready to reinsert the calipers. Drive them back in and all over the prime of the disk the way they arrived out.
8. Line the retractor plate up with the two mounting holes, location the locking tab on top and insert the pivot bolts into the holes hopefully obtaining the holes in the handbrake calipers with some considered wiggling. Carefully tighten them but not entirely as you will probably be using them again out.
9. This is in which the issue takes place. In all chance the tines of the retractor plate is not going to line up with the holes in the major of the calipers. If the subframe is off the motor vehicle this is not a problem but with the subframe on there is no way you can get just about anything in there to bend the tines to get them in the holes. But never despair. Get an inspection mirror these kinds of as dentists use and choose a shut glance to see in which course each tine is out and by how much. Make a be aware of this, unscrew the pivot bolts and acquire the retractor plate back out. Bend the tines in accordance to your estimates and then reinsert. You may possibly have to do this a couple of times but at the time you have it suitable you will be equipped to achieve in more than the tines with a screwdriver and drive them down into the holes.
10. Now you can tighten the pivot bolts adequately and thrust up the locking tabs.
11. Pull the running lever continuously until the ratchet of the self-changing mechanism stops clicking.
12. Refit the clevis pin linking the operating lever to the handbrake linkage and in shape a new break up pin.
13. Alter the handbrake according to the guide as essential.